Reading this story again in John 5:1-15, i received TEN revelations worth sharing and discovered that, the main message of the man by the pool of Bethesda was after his healing. He was around the temple yet far from healing. Jesus met him again and said to Him, “Go and sin no more lest a worst thing happen to you”, what a pregnant summary! This infers a lot of life lessons from the scene.
- God is merciful to all, the man didn’t know Jesus when Jesus walked to Him and released him. Truly his banner over us is Love. God is love and while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. No matter how bad you may be, salvation is still available to you since you have life. Sin sinks but Salvation lifts! God is ready to talk to us if you are willing to open up.
- Sin is the hammer that fastens bondage as a nail to a man’s life! Sin will keep a man in circles but not progression. The man’s sin had kept him in same position for 38 years. Shall we continue in sin and expect grace to abound? Iniquity is the sponsor of infirmity and stagnation. Sin keeps a man not too far to solution and fixed in his infirmity.
- He was between the temple and the pool of healing. Solution is always around us if we care to observe and become willing to obey! Many people are also on the fence, carnal today and spiritual tomorrow. Just like indifference is no solution, so their situations do not shift its position. Indifference is not a decision but a delusion, it is a self risk!
- The words of a messiah save but the words of a liar inflict pain. The man couldn’t take his bed until word came from the Messiah. Only the words of the Messiah can change any condition or situation. Who you listen to determines how you act or respond.
- The man was in around the pool of impotent folks. His situation was impotent because he was around impotent folks. Your folks determine your fold and mold.
- The man was surrounded by captives that made him a captive. His company were impotent (unproductive), blind (lack of vision), withered (Expired) and waiting (idle and excuse driven). What good would come from such a company! You are about what surround you!
- Loathsomeness extends captivity. The loathsomeness of many would deny them the possibilities they are qualified for. The first to step in was made whole. The holes in many lives are in their slothfulness towards an opportunity. Opportunity is to be attacked with the alacrity of preparation. It will not come to you; you will have to go for it. Frustration is being position but incapacitated.
- Disposition explains mentality. Your disposition determines your position or opposition. Attitude is a chosen posture! It wasn’t difficult for Jesus to know he had been there for long because of the way he laid. If you fold your hands in hard times, life will fold you into long term frustration.
- Lack of identity will make a scapegoat. The man had no name because it could be anyone. If you don’t define yourself and your stand, you will eventually be a scapegoat. The man’s affliction ended when he got to know Jesus such that he could tell others that it was Jesus that changed his story.
- Irresponsibility provides wrong answers to the right questions. the man was asked “would thou be made whole” and he responded “i have no man, when the water is troubled to put me into the pool”. Irresponsible people look for who or what to blame for their condition. Irresponsible people have ready-made explanations for failure rather than a reason to succeed. Responsibility is not a suggestion, it is an obligation.
I hope these lessons would sponsor a review of our life endeavors and a just reflection as we plan for the years ahead!
Great week ahead. God bless you as you share.